Life Verse Design

Life Verse Design
Life Verse Design

Friday, April 11, 2008

Freezer Meals

So I am all excited about freezer cooking. We had a speaker at MOPS and I won one of her freezer meals. Then my MOPS table got together and made meals for our freezers, so I'm going to share the recipes we made! I LOVE baking, but it is always so crazy trying to get dinner on the table while the kids want to play, Ryan's coming home, etc, so here's to my new adventure in being able to just pull a meal out of the freezer!! I made and froze cornbread to go with this meal

Chicken Wild Rice Soup
6T butter
1T chopped onion
1/2 c flour
3 c chicken broth
1 box long grain and wild rice, prepared
1/4 c shredded carrots (thanks Jaymi for shredding all those carrots and making me get the giggles. . I'll always think of you while shredding them :) )
1 c diced chicken
1 c evaporated milk
Prepare rice as directed on box. Saute onion in butter in soup pot. Stir in flour, whisk in chicken broth and stir til boiling. Stir in rice, carrots, chicken. Simmer 5 min. Blend in evaporated milk and heat til serving or freeze til later (we made 8 times this much!!! Yes, that's 8lb of chicken I cooked and cubed, but seriously if you're going to do 1lb you might as well do 8 :) )

Next, we made Chicken with Angel Hair pasta (thanks Julie for bringing me this when Trey was born and sharing the recipe!
4-6 chicken breasts
1/2 c butter
1 packet dry Italian dressing
1/2 c white wine
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
Put all ingredients , except chicken, in freezer bag and squish it all around (is that a cooking term?) Add chicken and freeze. Thaw and either cook it in your crockpot or in a 9 by 13 pan at 350 for 30-45 min. Serve over angel hair pasta! It is DELICIOUS!

Next, we made Saucy Apricot-Glazed Chicken
1cup chunky apricot preserves
1 8 oz bottled Russian dressing
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
4-6 skinless, boneless, chicken breasts
Put all in freezer bag. Thaw and cook in crockpot or in sprayed baking dish at 350 for 1-11/2 hrs. Serve over rice or wild rice.

Last, we made kid friendly Calzones.
You thaw Rhodes frozen bread dough and cut 1 loaf into 5 pieces for 5 calzones. Roll them into circles and add ingredients (except pizza sauce). . .hamburger, pepperoni, sausage, cheese, veggies, whatever you like. Fold over and pinch around the edges. Add some seasoning on top, and put in a freezer bag with EVOO :) Just stick these in the oven 350ish til they look done :) Serve with warm pizza sauce for dipping.

Now, I haven't frozen this next one, but it's "what's for dinner tonight," so thought I'd share. . my kids LOVE IT!!

2 pkg crescent rolls
1 1/2 lb hamburger cooked
1 pkg sloppy joe seasoning
8oz shredded cheddar cheese
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
15 oz tomato sauce
In 9 by 13 pan, lay down 1 pkg crescent rolls. Add meat mixture (meat, seasoning, and tomato sauce mixed together). Add cheese, and put the other package crescent rolls on top. Bake at 350 for 30-45 min.
Enough about meals, here's my cute little guy STANDING!! AAHHHHH!!! Just look at that little tush!

And I proudly have 5 sleeping children in four different rooms of my house :) (or so I thought Porter was asleep) Am taking care of my niece and nephew this afternoon, and thought it was hilarious that the boys were all at the table for lunch LONG before the girls :) Here's a shot of Trey and big cousin Bridger.


Last night my little ones had a slumber party on our living room floor because there was a snowstorm and dad got to go in late to work today. . there are a few perks to snow in April :)

2 comments:

Hollie said...

My Mother in Law does programs on freezer meals, maybe it was the same program presented at your MOPS group. I like most of them and they are nice to have around. Have a good weekend:)

Bethany said...

Yum! I am going to have to try some of these for swim lesson nights when we are walking in the door at dinner time. Looks like you will have another early walker... sorry, Emily. :)