Life Verse Design

Life Verse Design
Life Verse Design

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Homeschooling

What is best for our family? That is a question Ryan and I often ask ourselves. Sometimes the answer has been easy. Sometimes it has not. As for homeschooling, it has not been an easy decision. It is something we have been praying about, thinking about and researching for quite some time. I have to say, I have had COUNTLESS conversations that have gone like this over the last year and a half:

Me: "So where do your children go to school?"

Them (people at Ryan's work Christmas party, moms at the park, college friends, neighbors, family friends, church friends, etc): "Oh, we homeschool."

Me: "Not you too! Is God trying to tell me something?"

I know that homeschooling is not right for every family, just like public school or private school is not right for every family. Honestly, I still don't know for certain that it is right for us. But, we are at the point that we need to try it and find out. Do I have questions? Yes. Does Ryan support me? Yes. Are we trying to follow God's lead? Yes. Are we taking one semester at a time? Most definitely!

And so, for this next semester, we will set off on our homeschooling journey. I will be doing 1st grade math, phonics, spelling, etc with Ainsley and pre-k math, phonics, etc with Porter (using Math U See and VoWac). We will work in science experiments, cursive handwriting, geography, history, art, music, and health. Of course, there will be much story reading, playtime, rest time, field trips and Bible Stories. And, you know, computer games and movies when mom needs a break :)

Thanks for praying for us and please continue to do so! Stop by anytime. . .I will want adult conversation!!!

2 comments:

Hollie said...

Wow! I keep saying there is no way I could homeschool but as the fall draws nearer and Gabe will go off to kindergarten I am beginning to question what is the right choice. I would love to send him to Ames Christian where he goes to preschool but with only one income it just isn't possible. I just worry that I would not be able to devote the proper amount of time to it with two other little ones in the house. You will have to keep updating on how you and the kids do with it:) Will be praying for your this transition:)

Lindsay said...

good luck...you'll be a great 'teacher.' hope it works for you guys.